View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #115
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I was a kid during the Loma Prieta Quake. Lasted seconds then went on to eating my cereal.

I've been through hundreds of quakes. Would take them over floods hurricanes tornados etc any day.
You must not read. These aren't normal quakes dude. You're used to slip-strike faults which the plates are just moving horizontally against one another. Those can be fairly destructive but nothing like a subduction zone fault. They're 2 entirely different types of quakes. What most people don't understand about earthquakes, even those who live in quake zones are usually clueless to this fact, is that each degree upwards is 10 times worse. So a 7.0 is 10 times worse then a 6.0. So the mega quake produces a 9.0, which would be 30 times more powerful then somebody's who's been through a 6.0 quake, but it doesn't end there, as the documentaries explain, the mega thrust earth quakes don't last seconds, try upwards of 4 to 5 minutes. They're nothing like what you've been through. People simply don't stop eating their cereal for a few seconds and then go back to eating. Experts say a quake of this magnitude would dwarf the destruction of Katrina. There's no tornado that could come even close to the damage of this type of quake.

And regarding the Yellowstone Caldera, yes that is going to happen as well, but that only happens once every 100,000 years. The mega quake that will hit the Pacific NW will happen way before the Yellowstone eruption occurs. The mega quake happens roughly every 300 years. But yeah, when that Yellowstone eruption happens, that's a game changer.

Last edited by ZONA; 12-05-2013 at 07:57 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote