Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #106
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I'm sorry, but isn't Chicago known as one of the worst school systems in the country with the highest amount of student violence and shootings? Chicago has like 3 or 4 great prep schools, but I'm fairly certain a majority of their high schools are below average.

You can pick and chose, but to take a whole city as massive as Chicago and compare your experience at one school to a small suburb of the Denver Metroplex seems strange.
I'm just going by my experience. Can't say what the inner Chicago schools are because I never went to those schools. I went to two high schools in Cook county IL, I can say both are very good and competitive. In my class of 500 something students, the lowest GPA was a 3.5 out of 5 if I remember. My graduating class consisted of 50 something juniors that have earned enough credit to graduate early. Oh yeah, the area I lived wasn't a rich area either. I lived in a apartment and I was on the school lunch voucher program.

My cousins went to school in Aurora, and he never told me the schools had much of a high standard. Calculus wasn't even available. This was back in the late 80's early 90's, things can obviously be different now.

I went to Alameda high near Wadsworth and Mississippi, and there was no accountability. I ditch school everyday. I would go to gym and play basketball, lift weights, play tennis and no one ever questioned if I was part of the class. Teachers kinda just said whatever. I would sign agreements with the VP to excuse all my tardies and absences if i promise to show up to class. This is something I can never get away with in Chicago.
SleepingTiger is online now   Reply With Quote