Thread: Eddie Lacy
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #101
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Thoughts as follows:

1. Eddie Lacy

Lacy is a special running back. As a forum, we had a lot of discussion on him leading up to the draft in a multitude of threads. Based on film study, I became convinced he was a better prospect than both Richardson and Ingram. I was very upset we took Ball over Lacy. The talent difference is massive. That said, we were told the medical (fused toe) was the reason he fell out of the 1st round, and the Broncos, in particular, passed on him in the 2nd. So, we have to see what happens over the length of this rookie contract. If the toe never proves to be a problem, a lot of front offices were wrong. I think most people expected Lacy to be the best RB from this draft in the short term.

2. Alec Ogletree

I liked him as an athletic SAM. He's been okay as a WILL. He's terrible in run defense at the point of attack, but excellent in coverage. St. Louis flips their LBs and plays nickel a ton, so he's basically in coverage a ton. He's part of the reason the Rams suck at run defense though. When he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle, he's going to be elite.

3. Montee Ball

He's a better than average RB prospect, that was definitely a product of Wisconsin's system. He has stone hands, which probably won't change, but at some point he should be able to learn blitz pickup. Lacy is far superior in both areas. I think we should have drafted Lacy, we're in a short term minded Superbowl push anyway.

4. Judging Rookies

I don't think it's too early to make some judgments. Half the season is gone, and we've seen these guys in action. You can see their positives and negatives, which are mostly the same as they were on college tape. I mean, you look at Zac Stacy, and he's doing exactly what he did at Vanderbilt. Lacy is doing what he did at Alabama. Ogletree is doing what he did at Georgia. Ray Rice has clearly fallen off ala Shawn Alexander and Larry Johnson from massive usages dating back to Rutgers. I think that concern applies to Ball whom had massive usages at Wisconsin. Contrary to John Fox, I think it's a huge negative to have massive workloads in college, so I think Ball has a shorter shelf life than most RBs. At this point, I'm just hoping Ball isn't a stone handed version of Kevin Smith.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote