View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #649
bombay
Ring of Famer

from Salon; not hyperbolic like the headline sort of implies.
GOP is “crazy and awful”: The Josh Barro Republicans are displeased

As his party wallows in shame, a young, prominent GOPer tells Salon why it must lose much more in order to improve

One excerpt:

This I think is a key lesson that I took out of the financial crisis and the aftermath of it. We really thought we’d sort of beaten the business cycle, and we wouldn’t have events that would cause years of sustained high unemployment. And so it was less important to have policies aimed at mitigating that. Now we know that in fact we are vulnerable to that sort of thing, and so we need to figure out first of all what do we do to reduce that probability, and then what do we do to make up for that problem when it happens. And Republicans have just been completely absent on both of those questions.

On reducing the vulnerability, they have basically sniped at Democratic proposals on improving bank regulation without offering substantive proposals of their own. Similarly, there hasn’t been an acknowledgement that when you have years of sustained high unemployment, you can’t just blame the unemployed and say those people are lazy, they don’t want to work.

So the last few years at the federal level, Republicans have just not been offering good solutions to the problems that we face. And then we’ve seen over the last month that because they don’t like the things the other side is doing, they start temper tantrums and do things that are very damaging to the economy. And so I don’t know why I should look at that and say anything other than these people are crazy and awful and shouldn’t be trusted with power.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote