View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #137
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I love this response. I call out RW fans for a holier-than-thou attitude and instead of coming back with some sort of "hey not all of them are like that..." type of response, your retort is the typical RW fan attitude is justified because of the history of the team?

I dont want to paint all their fan base with such a broad brush and you have had some decent takes on the hockey (and broncos of course) threads but you arent helping yourself out here at all.

You do realize that their success on the ice doesn't make you a superior fan or possess superior intellect about the sport?

The Habs have won basically twice as many cups than the RWs and I dont see a similar attitude from their fan base. They actually have a winning record in the SCFs. They have more wins than any other franchise, more HOF players, etc, etc. Yet they DONT have some sort of insecurity to satisfy that requires them to name their city "Hockeytown." Hell, the term isnt even original to the RWs. The Hab fans are certainly passionate about their team but they arent these elitest fools like RW fans (and Leafs fans are I would add.)
Pride is earned. Cleveland Browns fans aren't proud of their team, they are slightly embarrassed that they cheer for the Browns and that they are associated with Cleveland. I am proud of being a Red Wing fan because the team has a long history of success, could field an entire team of current hall of famers with significant history in the organization and because it is a strong organization.

I love that Avs fans are cheering for their team, the Avs had a period of being great and those playoff series represented some of the very best hockey that has ever been played. That doesn't change the fact that I think the Wings are better than the Avs and always will be, and I will always try to make that point when given the chance.

I don't claim to be a better fan, or know more about hockey, or be a superior human being because I am a fan of the Red Wings. If I have ever done so I apologize for that because clearly that is not the case.

As for the Habs fans, you have them all wrong. This is the same fan group that ran Roy out of town. Here is a list of Hockey riots in Canada, there are 8 listed and 5 of them are about Habs fans. Habs fans are definitely the most passionate but also the most obsessed and possibly the most drunk, if that team hadn't won as much as they have - and if you go back a page you will see that I do agree they are the greatest organization ever - the entire city of Montreal and possibly all of southwestern Quebec would be a burned down pile of rubble.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...in-Canada.html
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote