View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #331
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
This is just ONE example that I'm talking houtham. http://theleanstartup.com/

The Kauffman foundation has an entire different program. Start Up weekend. Google it.

Thousands of meetings across the globe are happening right now to help launch the next great start up biz. This is the type of activity that is going to fix our nations problems. The problem is the government is actually getting in the way with more regulations, taxes, fees, imposing health care plans on small business to hinder expansion etc etc.

These guys are making HUGE waves in the start up community.
http://www.kauffman.org/

No offense Hougtam but you admitted you are of the retirement mindset. That's ok. Hey power to you. I could be "retired" but honestly it would bore the hell of me. At 38 I still have plenty of gas in the tank to fix some problems out there. When you love what you do it isn't work IMO.

This isn't about how you or I spend our time. However my point is related in that as much as you thing I'm disconnected from REALITY your retirement status you probably aren't in tune with all the amazing Start up meetings/investment incubators/opportunities that are out there that people like myself ARE tuned into and supporting.

We are either part of the SOLUTION or PART of the problem. Sure discussing ideas in here has some synergy and could result in some great ideas but at the end of the day all the ideas in here don't mean jack **** and are a complete WASTE of time if nobody actually runs it, steps out into the real world to help implement it, or at a minimum march into their state capital to let that idea be heard in a public forum. Right now ANY of us could march into our State Capitals to rant just like we do in here. How many of you have actually done it? Would do it? Want to do it?

I really believe the solutions to many of the problems we are discussing in this forum will be solved via the entrepreneurs meeting in the rooms I'm talking about now. Ideas are being attacked with 50 great minds at once in the spirit of efficiency, innovation, AND REALLY HELPING PEOPLE. Meanwhile our government is doing the very opposite. They are looking out for their own political interests/pocket books and some of you want to trust them with revolutionizing health care in our country?

That's ****ing insane.

Lastly the bickering and shut down talk IMO is to instill fear in the American people to strengthen our reliance on them.

Shut the damn thing down. Let's start with paychecks and pensions of ALL those who work or have worked at the capital. Oh wait. They exempted their pay from every being stopped and in fact given themselves raises. *spit*
As far as me personally, you're not going to get to me. No one is. I earned my reprieve. I no longer have to listen to idiot customers who have no idea how the movie theater business works complain about how much they are paying for popcorn. Instead, I get to play trains with my two kids. I no longer roll in from work at 2am on the weekend after an exhausting 12+ hour day. Now, my kids are in bed between 9 and 10 (depending on when mom gets home), and the rest of my evening is ours. I no longer eat **** because it's the most convenient and the company wants me to spend time out on the floor so I have to shovel it in. Instead, I'm cooking healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners for my family and we *gasp* eat at a dinner table.

I may enter the workforce again, but it will be on my terms. I may work long days or weeks again, but it will be doing something I love. I've gotten several job offers recently in a related industry from people I've worked for before...I may take one, I may not...it needs to make sense for us. But as far as not understanding you or me being out of touch...I've lived all over this country. I've lived or spent an extended amount of time in 4 states down south, 3 states in the midwest, and 1 state up east. I've come from humble beginnings, and I've known need both as a student and as an independent person. Real need, as in, not knowing where my next meal is coming from. This is why I laugh when you mention startups in the context of people who are truly poor. Setting aside that they generally don't have the education to know where to look for a startup or the know how to actually dream something up worthwhile to market, most of them couldn't care less about these investment opportunities, because they can't make ends meet as it is! It really is the equivalent of Romney telling someone to borrow $20k from their parents to go to college...you're assuming things that, in my experience, just aren't true.

Now as far as "the government", as you refer to it...They may not necessarily always have everyone's best interests in mind, but I can say that, in my experience, liberal ideals (not Democratic ideals) are much more relevant to me than conservative ones.

True liberals do not believe in handouts, but they believe everyone needs a hand up from time to time. This "everyone look out for themselves" stuff is pure garbage, because in the end, in my experience, the people who shout that the loudest are the people who are most likely to hoard their money. They're the most likely to tell a homeless person, "get a job, you bum!" They're the most likely to cry about the lack of morals in the world and trumpet their going to church every Sunday, all while whispering about the sinners in the back row, coming to church hungover from the night before, or cheating on their spouse during the week. Again, this is my experience we're talking about. And we're all shaped by our experiences.

Ultimately, however, I've voted for a Democrat the last two elections for one main reason above all of these others, and I've said this several times. The one right we have remaining is the right that we should refuse to have taken away, and that is the right to democratically elect our leaders. The right to vote. Our leaders from BOTH parties should be trying to GROW the electorate, not shrink it. What I have seen over the past 10 years is an attempt by the right to trump up election fraud, pass 11th hour laws, use fear tactics and remove people from voter rolls...all with an underlying tinge of racism. The facts don't lie. For every anecdote someone can give about people being bussed from out of state to vote, I can point to study after study that points out that, in any statistically meaningful way, voter fraud of that sort just. doesn't. happen. Especially not with enough regularity to warrant disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of people.

So you can diss the government all you want...although from your posts I have a sneaking suspicion that you are one of those who b****es now that a conservative is not in the WH. I still have hope that, by using our right to remove those in power, we the people can affect change in government to help the most people, and I will continue to vote in that way. We weren't founded to be every man for himself, and when the wealth gap is what it is, it is my belief that it is our responsibility as people (not just citizens, but as human beings) to see that something isn't working right, and that the government (of the people, for the people, by the people) needs to step in. It's not about jealousy any more than it was during the depression or any number of other eras in US and human history.

Finally...am I happy with our government the way it is? I'm not going to re-hash all that. Short answer is no. Long answer is go back and read my posts.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote