View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Oh I agree but my point earlier was is our health tied to the government or perhaps to our own actions? The government is getting involved to regulate insurance but why not a multi prong approach?

We are printing $85 billion a month. Hell why not just cut a deal with all the YMCA's in the country and make it free to the public? Or at least make it almost free. Why not really make a dent in school nutrition? Offer programs or incentives for back yard gardens? Most people have no clue on how to garden. I know because I've been researching it. The government will hand you a block of cheese or food stamps but why not give people the ability to raise a little bit of organic fresh food? Even poor people are within walking distances of urban gardens popping up everywhere.

Let's face it obesity is a huge problem in the country. Health insurance will certainly help but does it really nip the real problem. People just don't eat healthy foods and or work out enough.

The current admin has nearly doubled the national debt and what has been the result? A sluggish economy and their plan to help people become healthy is cheaper drugs?
Well, the YMCA is a Christian organization, for one. But I see your point. And it's a valid one. But do you honestly think the reaction from the right would be any different for incentivizing growing food or healthier school lunches than it has been for any of the other "green" ideas they've been promoting?

Hell, look at Michelle Obama's school lunch programs. Nothing but complaints. "My son is an athlete and he's just not getting enough food." Nevermind that the school lunch programmed isn't designed for your son's 3500 calorie diet. "Look at that Michelle Obama, she has such a big ass, what does she know about health?"

Face it. It wouldn't matter if Obama came out with a plan to stop global warming, feed the poor and cure cancer, people would b**** about it because it came from him. They've been chanting obstruction since before he took the oath of office. They've been promoting the idea that he's a Muslim, not a citizen, a celebrity and not a President...all this before he even stepped into office. So no, it's not the policies that he's enacted that have caused people to do this...they're just looking for a reason to hate.

So while I think your ideas about promoting health would do better to make our country healthier in the long run than just throwing money at the problem, it's pie-in-the-sky thinking. Obama can't bend down to tie his shoes without being criticized for doing it the "wrong way".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote