Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
http://samuel-warde.com/2013/08/radi...ifornia-coast/

Radioactive Bluefin Tuna Caught Off California Coast
OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING!

"It is a compound that does occur naturally in nature, however, the levels of cesium found in the tuna in 2012 had levels 3 percent higher than is usual. Measurements for this year havenít been made available, or at least none that I have been able to find. I went looking for the effects of ingesting cesium."

3% increase in a trace amount is still just a trace amount. Normal background activity of tuna is 1 becquerel. This means this is adding 0.03 becquerels of activity to the tuna.

Put in more understandable terms, the radioactivity of one banana is 500 times the activity added to these tuna . (On banana has an activity of about 15 bequerels)

In other words, eat one banana and you've ingested 500 times the radioactivity that has been added to these tuna (and, because it's cesium in the tuna, it will have a similar biological effect as well since cesium is a chemical analog to potassium).

"The half life of cesium 134 is 2.0652 years. For cesium 137, the half life is 30.17 years."

Ohhh.. I'm even more scared now. Look at that 30 year half life! Luckily the biological half life (the half life that actually matters in this case) is 70 days.

For reference, the half life of potassium-40 (the radioactive isotope found in bananas is 1.25 billion years). However, just like the cesium, the biological half-life is 70 days (again, because cesium is a chemical analog of potassium).

Put your thinking cap on guys. The sky is not falling.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 08-27-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote