View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #95
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
My bad. It just blows me away that we are potentially entangling ourselves into another war. My best friend has been in and out of Afghanistan and places he can't even tell me about and there is a reason he moved his family as far away from DC as possible. It's not if it's when the east coast gets hit again with some retaliation.
It's true. "They" don't hate us for our freedoms, they hate us for our foreign policy, our arrogance, and our perpetual military presence everywhere around the globe.

It's high time we get rid of the military industrial complex, but good luck convincing most conservatives and any "liberal" in a district affected by military spending cuts.

I don't even care if the money is flushed down a toilet, it's a better use for it than propping up a multibillion dollar industry that does us more harm than good. We can protect ourselves and our interests with a streamlined military at a quarter of what we're paying now, and as I've said before, we can return the majority of the military back to the states with the National Guard in each state. With the money the federal government saves on wasteful spending, they can reinvest in infrastructure, which is arguably more important for war than the actual troops.

It will take some creative thinking and thoughtful engineering, but it can be done. The first step is voting out anyone who wants to raise the military budget. The second is voting out anyone who doesn't want to lower it.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote