View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #61
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
So, what does "you're overqualified" really mean?

Have you ever had an employer or recruiter say you're "overqualified" for a job? Honestly, how can you really be "overqualified" for a job? You can either do the job, or you can't. How can having more experience than required be a negative, right?

First, it's important to know that it's a catch-all excuse that hiring managers, recruiters and HR use to politely eliminate you from the candidate pool. Why do they use it? If they said what they were really passing on you for, it would seem silly, petty, or down-right discriminatory. In fact, here are nine most common reasons they are saying it.

1. Your personality isn't a match for the office/department culture.
2. You don't look like you would fit in.
3. You seem like a slow worker.
4. You have too many degrees and/or were paid too much previously.
5. You didn't seem reliable.
6. You acted like a know-it-all in the interview.
7. You didn't seem like you really knew what you were talking about.
8. I don't like you, can't see working with you every day, and I just don't want to be rude.
9. I already have the candidate I want and interviewing you is just a formality.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/08...-overqualifie/

As someone who regularly does hiring, the biggest reason I've ever had to say someone is "overqualified" is because... they are overqualified. It doesn't do me any good to hire a senior level developer into a junior level position, because the liklyhood of that senior level person hanging around in a Jr. position any longer than it takes them to find a senior level position is nill.

I have, on occasion, converted a position to a higher level to take on someone I feel would be really good, but only when I could afford to do so.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 08-23-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote