Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #60
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Actually, as someone who handled HR for several companies over the past 15 years, dealing with interviews, hiring and firing on a daily basis, "overqualified" means exactly what it says.

If someone is overqualified for a job, it means that they are more likely to leave that job for another, and are therefore more of a liability to hire than someone who is adequately qualified for a job.

To put it in simple terms, if you have an 18 year old with no work experience and a 30 year old with 10 years management experience both applying for a minimum wage job at McDonald's, I'm going to hire the 18 year old, because it is more likely that the 30 year old is going to keep searching for (and find) other employment, causing me to have to replace him or her much more quickly than I would the 18 year old.

I would think if you ran a successful business, something as simple as this would come second nature to you and not cause you to go search for an AOL jobs article to poorly support whatever point it is you're trying to make.

I'm waiting for the inevitable influx of guffaws telling me I'm saying that Req applied for a job at McDonald's and about how I popped popcorn at a movie theater instead of, you know, addressing the point.
It was Pony's way of trying to piss on me. On my government contract I was told by my supervisor that I was overqualified and deserved more pay than what was being offered. I gladly accepted anyways. It is understandable for a company to pass someone up who is likely to move on anyways. I am honest and upfront with my aims and goals. I would rather places hire a kid to start out and let them make $10 an hour instead of settle and likely move on shortly down the road.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote