View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #66
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Let me address this size issue. It doesn't matter if he is 230 or 250. It's all about how he plays. I actually would prefer Trevethan at MLB and think he could play and hold up there.

Our DTs will be two gapping. That means whichever two DTs (Knighton and Vickerson) in whichever order along with Wolfe or Malik will all be two gapping in base downs. This will keep our LBs clean as there are more gaps filled allowing the LBs to flow.

Where I have the issue is Irving starting over Phillips at SOLB. I think Phillips would be a solid replacement option there, bringing a similar skill set. Irving may be better verse the run, but is that really worth sacrificing the pass rush Phillips offers?

I said in the beginning of this thread I didn't want Bradley. I mentioned another name and even said some targets in the draft. But that's not where we are today, and today we appear to be Von less for sometime. And I'm not as worried about the run as I am the pass rush..

It will almost be as if we are in Nickel, just with Irving at SAM instead of Phillips for whatever reason..
Irving and Phillips are both in title Sams, but they're not close to having the same skill set. Both their roles are entirely different. Phillips will be on the line most of the time, and Iving will be off the line most of the time. I dont see Irving edge rushing hardly ever from the line like Von does. Why these two guys are being pitted together makes no sense to me.