View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #554
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I met Mike Hargrove and Charlie Manuel in the early to mid 1990s. Hargrove was the Indians manager at the time and Manuel was the hitting coach.

One of my buddies is a big Indians fan and got free tickets for the team caravan/dinner that stops into Toledo every winter. There are usually a few players and managers that travel around to some of the local cities to promote the team. Detroit does the same thing in Toledo every winter as well. Anyway, after dinner we left a little early and saw the team bus parked outside and we poked our head in there and Hargrove and Manuel were sitting in there, smoking cigars, if I recall right. Hargrove looked a little peeved that we just walked onto the bus, but after a minute he warmed up and was friendly enough....but Charlie Manuel couldn't have been nicer. He talked to us like we were long lost friends and had that West Virginia drawl.

I bet we talked baseball with him for 10 or 15 minutes and he seemed like he would have talked as long as we wanted to talk. He's got the kind of personality that makes you feel at ease and comfortable....a really nice man and a class act.

Charlie Manuel asked if we were staying for the autograph session back in the building after everything else wrapped up, but we told him we had to take off a little early and wouldn't be staying for that. He found a couple of new baseballs still in the box that they must use for the autograph sessions and he signed them and had Mike Hargrove sign them.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote