View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Except many of the "fruit picking jobs" you refer to pay better than wal mart. Two of them hilighted during testimony on cspan were $10.50 and $13 an hour. I know many of the construction jobs my company hired for were quite well-paying, as well.
Uh huh.

http://migration.ucdavis.edu/rmn/more.php?id=1596_0_5_0

Quote:
Strawberry fields are picked by hand multiple times, often every three days. An average 1,000 hours of harvest labor is required to harvest a typical acre of strawberries, representing half of the $19,000 cost of production. Pickers are paid hourly wages when yields are low, usually the minimum wage of $8 an hour or a bit more. During peak periods, most receive a piece rate wage, often $1.50 to pick a tray containing 12 pints, plus an hourly wage.

The best strawberry pickers earn $10 to $12 an hour during the peak season, but most earn less. In surveys of farm employers, strawberry workers have the lowest average hourly earnings, an average $9.13 an hour in 2007, lower than the average $9.31 for employees of labor contractors and the $10.27 average of all crop workers. Reasons for low strawberry wages may include the long season, the ability of families to work together and, because the work involves bending rather than climbing trees, more older workers and women, which increases the pool of workers available to harvest berries, holding down wages.
Basically minimum wage or a hair above. Like I said, Wally World wages.