View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #168
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This was my favorite weapon when I was in the army:

The M79 grenade launcher. And I was pretty damn good with that thing. Good enough that the platoon sergeant assigned it to me.

Talk about some home protection? Wish I could have one of those now. Poof! Your ass is mine!
Rohirrim, have you seen these?

The XM25 Individual Airburst Weapon is a new grenade launcher being developed by Heckler & Koch and Alliant Technologies.

Explosions In Mid-Air

The XM25 weapon fires 25 millimeter grenades that are designed to explode in mid-air or close to an intended target. As such, the XM25 is known as an "airburst grenade launcher." The weapon uses lasers to calculate the distance to a target, and operators of the XM25 can adjust the detonating distance of grenades by up to three meters. The ability of the grenades to explode in mid-air will enable the XM25 to hit targets that are dug into the ground or hiding behind cover.

The U.S. military has announced plans to purchase more than 12,000 XM25 Individual Airburst Weapons. Each grenade launcher costs approximately $25,000. The XM25 began field tests with soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2009. The U.S. military expects the weapon to enter service and be fully deployed in 2012.

I bet you would have loved to fire one of these.