View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #249
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
As Americans it is a near sacred cow to distrust our government. In the last 12 years we have been told its Patriotic to dissent (even if the sides dissenting have flipped), and that loving your country does not mean you must love the government. Its drilled into us. Our founding happened because of a corrupt government overstepping its bounds. We celebrate breaking away from that. Even our founders knew any government set up to serve the people would in time become corrupted.

So it is not outlandish to be suspicious of government pushed education programs. The potential for propaganda is ridiculously high. On the flip side of that, the federal government is the only one capable of ensuring things that need to be taught are taught. Its a highwire act, and most of the time government falls right off.

Sure, but its also not healthy to be paranoid about it. I cant help but notice this belief that the government is some alien body that will stab us in the back at a moments notice. Government, as you said, can fall off the highwire, but it does plenty right as well. And, of course, there's some propaganda teachings (the way we were taught about communism in the 1980s, for example), but youre going to get bias from public or private education.

Current events is, to me, a necessary class so people arent ignorant to the world around them. I think know about Middle eastern countries/African countries/asian countries is more beneficial than random explorers that may or may not have found things 500 years ago. Sex Ed serves a very important role about setting facts straight. Its a science class.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote