Thread: DOMA IS DEAD!
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #248
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think our difference lies in your general distrust of authority and that the "state" is pushing a propaganda issue, which I don't believe. Every high school (or i assume the vast majority) teaches math, history, english, so on...and current events should be equally as important, ESPECIALLY considering our current society. Its a launching point for so many important topics. If you're afraid that a teacher might inject bias into his/her teachings, its a fair point, but he could do that on a multitude of subjects that already exist.

As far as sex ed goes, this is an issue that can help with very tangible problems such as teen pregnancy and STDs. In my high school, we had mandatory health and i found it very helpful.
As Americans it is a near sacred cow to distrust our government. In the last 12 years we have been told its Patriotic to dissent (even if the sides dissenting have flipped), and that loving your country does not mean you must love the government. Its drilled into us. Our founding happened because of a corrupt government overstepping its bounds. We celebrate breaking away from that. Even our founders knew any government set up to serve the people would in time become corrupted.

So it is not outlandish to be suspicious of government pushed education programs. The potential for propaganda is ridiculously high. On the flip side of that, the federal government is the only one capable of ensuring things that need to be taught are taught. Its a highwire act, and most of the time government falls right off.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote