View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #63
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombquixote View Post
I'm thinking the Buddhist approach would align with embracing, but without necessarily digging in. It's more passive, acknowledging that what is, is. The why isn't necessarily important, unless it presents itself. Which, if you hang out long enough, it does. What did you find worked best for you? Never heard of the Lindon Method, but I like the idea of diversion: Runaway!

Here is a good point of departure for researching Vipassana: http://www.dhamma.org/

Research and practice are two different things. Really, the only way to understand it is to do it. I'd suggest doing one of the retreats (you can find a list of them at the site). The ten day retreats are intense, at least for the first few days, but you come out CLEAR. There are some shorter ones, too.
Well it's hard to say what helped me really. I still have my moments. I don't ever get the extreme symptoms I used to. No panic attacks, no tingling fingers or hot skin. Very very rarely do I even get minor palpitations anymore either. For me, it's getting much better. I still get some minor lightheadedness here and there and I know I still have obsessive thoughts and dwell on minor things too much so still working away.

I did get out of very stressful job several years ago and now I am self employed and financially I'm doing better then ever. So that I'm sure has helped. I have been working out often this past year and getting in the sun much more often and for longer periods. So those are life changes I made. As for what am I doing mentally, well I did do all that research and realized nothing was going to kill me, lol. I just got so tired of wondering what was happening that I just F it, if I die I die, I don't give a **** anymore. I'm not going to keep feeding this thing more negative energy. And I am sleeping much better now days. Normally 5 or 6 hours. Before it was dreadful. Trying to get off that Ambien and Lunesta a year ago was a b****. But I did it and I'm glad I did. I just adopted the same thought. I said if I don't sleep, who cares, so the next day I'm a zombie, so be it. It took a month or so to start getting to the point where I could sleep 3 or 4 hours. Then another month before I started getting 5 and 6.

But I don't want to rest on what I've done. I want to go even further and do things like increase positive mood and energy. So I'm always open to discussing this type of stuff with people and if I can help somebody along the way that's cool too.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote