Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #62
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It's actually very simple... diversion is effective, once you've learned to accept.
When your level of acceptance is such that you can sit with the symptoms and not add additional mental commentary (my head is killing me, when will this end, etc.)... that's when diversion is a great tactic.

The problem with diversion without acceptance is that you're going to end up fighting. When your symptoms come on, you'll start hustling to divert attention... scrambling to do something else... and distract yourself. This in itself can create more stress, tension and worry. It's the old concept of trying not to think of something.... good luck.

So, practice total acceptance first, then use distraction once you are at ease with the symptoms.

Claire Weekes (google her) was the pioneer of almost all modern anxiety/stress disorder recovery methods. She was curing people without meds long before we understood what stress disorders even were. Check her out.

I've heard great things about her. I've had some people tell me that her book "Hope-Help-Your-Nerves" was awesome. I'll probably order it and see just what it is that makes her so good.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote