View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
No. That has nothing to do with it.

I can't remember the exact difference but say one of each group was applying at the same time. The "conservative group" would take 2 to 3 times as long to get approved of even reviewed.

Now I am not saying the Admin was behind this. To me this is what I expect of Government run institutions. A lack of organization and oversight while mandating that private businesses live by a different set of rules.
The line has been blurred for decades. This exemption specifically states that it is only for organizations engaged "exclusively for social welfare". That means for all these organizations, any money spent on advocacy needs to be taxed. IMO the IRS isn't overreaching, 501c organizations (both left and right) are attempting to scam the system.

Instead of having to determine first whether a group is operating outside the bounds of the social welfare exception, then determine how much money was spent doing so and then how much should be taxed, the law should state that if your organization gets involved in any sort of political advocacy whatsoever, whether it is endorsing a candidate, telling someone how to vote, or collecting signatures or a ballot initiative, your entire organization, be it the NAACP, a church, or a tea party group, falls under X category, and must pay taxes based on the overall worth of the organization, not just how much you've spent on advocacy.

I would think that would put an end to all the scam artistry pretty quick, and I'm sure the number of applications the IRS receives would drop like a rock.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote