Thread: DOMA IS DEAD!
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #109
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Exactly. It will be interesting to see what they do next.
What the Supremes will do next? Nothing, and I'd say it will probably be "nothing" for the next 5 years or so.

That's my guesstimate for the amount of time it will take for a gay married couple to move from a state that recognizes their marriage to one that doesn't, and where the couple suffers some concrete harm from the non-recognition. Tax rates or something like that, most likely, much like Edie Windsor's estate tax bill after her wife's death.

The couple will sue, and the suit will take a while to wind its way up through the court system until it eventually lands on the Supremes' docket again as a "full faith and credit" case. That's when it will get interesting again. ;-) In the meantime, there's a lot of work for LGBT people and agencies to do on legal issues that don't have the gut-punch headline value of "gay marriage."

Also in the meantime there will be much d***-waving and slapfighting on forums much like this one. Remember, boys: winning an argument on the Internet is like winning the 50-yard dash at Special Ed field day. Yah, you won, but....
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote