View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #31
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I don't think conservatives should ever give up their pursuit to one day find all abortion a things of the past- I find their effort noble and moral...

that being said, in a effort to make the above statement true, they should be MILITANT about sex education, contraception, and making adoption so easy its a no brainer... instead, in irony, they still espouse shame and fear around the issue of sex... think about all the girls of conservative parents who got pregnant, are terrified and seek an abortion because of the closed mindedness of their parents... how in this day and age when kids are having sex at 11 can someone still think preaching abstinence still works? Don't get me wrong, I think absitenace should be the goal, but god forbid not the only thing we arm out kids with...

That is what makes the GOP modern day social issue knuckledraggers...
I don't think ANYONE should give up the goal of wanting to make abortions (except of course in certain rare cases) a thing of the past.

But yes, you're right. Conservatives routinely cite inner-city pregnancy statistics without examining right in their own backyard. Like I said in the other thread, to think this isn't just as bad in rural ("Christian!") America is ignorant.

It's also ignorant to think parents can do a better job of educating your children about sex than a medical professional. Guess what? They can't. Or maybe I should rephrase that...even if they "can", they too often "don't". It's a failure of responsibility in the social contract, and it's gone on for far too long. "Sorry parents, you've proven that you, as a whole, cannot or will not teach your kids responsibly about sex...now we're going to do it for you whether you like it or not."

Now watch as the outrage roils up..."how dare you suggest taking away my rights to teach my kids about how the pee pee goes into the thingy!" As if sex were some sacred act that some disembodied voyeur watched and judged you on at every turn, instead of a natural biological process that our animal instincts urge us to do in order to continue the species.

"WHAT?! YOU THINK WE'RE ANIMALS NOW, YOU LIBERAL PINKO??"

See why it's so hard to reduce the number of abortions? It's easier just to say "ban it" and be done. What really confuses me though, is when people like Beavis (or the Texan lawmakers) go out of their way to make all these legal arguments about when and where and why and how life begins...it seems to me it would be a hell of a lot easier to just talk about the actual problem.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote