Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
There's always the exception. Now, we have to teach these youngsters how to write complete words. I blame Twitter (and Facebook, by extension). Twitter has a limit on characters, so they learn to write in bingo language (b4)...
Abbreviations and Internet slang were already well established before Twitter, thanks to instant messaging and texting. Hell, in the era of telegraphs there was extensive use of abbreviations and removed vowels, etc. Any situation where writing fast / saving keystrokes is more important that grammar will lead to people being creative with their English.

But, certainly, it is much more prevalent and engrained in the culture now. Which isn't an entirely bad thing, so long as students have it drilled into them when and where to write correctly.

As someone who tends to even text in full sentences, I understand how grating it can be to look at, but I think general reading comprehension is a deeper issue at this point. This article I read this week highlighted how almost all grade school students are reading books that are rated for reading difficulty well below there own:

Quote:
Last year, for the first time, Renaissance did a separate study to find out what books were being assigned to high school students. "The complexity of texts students are being assigned to read," Stickney says, "has declined by about three grade levels over the past 100 years. A century ago, students were being assigned books with the complexity of around the ninth- or 10th-grade level. But in 2012, the average was around the sixth-grade level."
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote