View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #302
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The Bioshock franchise falls into that category and while I don't like any of the entries nearly as much as System Shock 2 they're still very enjoyable games with top tier art direction and narrative.
Bioshock is bad and overrated. Bioshock Infinite is straight up terrible. They don't have top tier narrative anything. They have bottom tier storytelling. I'm actually qualified to make that claim. And I have, for some reason, written thousands and thousands of words on these games.

System Shock 2 is pretty incredible, though. It was also made in 1999. Game design was a very different beast in those days.

Not every AAA game is terrible, no. But the vast majority of them acquiesce to a very predictable, mostly hands-off set of design decisions that I have no interest in exploring (if you can even use that word), coupled with extremely inconsequential mechanics often meant to bridge the gap between QTEs. And most of them similarly have gross, teenage aesthetic and narrative trappings build around hyper violence, misogyny, and boring revenge or faux-justice narratives. For games where these things hold, I am not interested. There are thousands of games available to me to play at any one time. I have no need to drop $60 on anything built around systems, mechanics, and aesthetics that range anywhere from uninteresting to appalling.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote