View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #107
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I seriously doubt that a $600 gaming rig is going to come anywhere close to the PS4, but we shall see. I guarantee you though that the Unreal Engine 4 demo was run on something considerably more pricey.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/14...-underwhelming

Quote:
The x86 CPU, incidentally, is a 64-bit, 8-core Jaguar CPU made by AMD, probably clocked at around 2GHz. Jaguar is the next step up after Bobcat, and is targeted at low-power (and low-cost) laptops. Jaguar is expected to be around 10% faster than Bobcat — and the core count is quite impressive, if developers can make use of them all — but overall, the PS4′s CPU isn’t spectacular. (See: Our full Jaguar explainer.)

It isn’t merely a CPU inside the PS4, though — it’s an APU! Bundled with the CPU, on the same die, is what Sony is calling “a next-generation Radeon” GPU. Beyond that, all we know is that the GPU has 18 compute units and is capable of 1.84 teraflops — i.e. somewhere between the Radeon 7850 and 7870. We assume that the GPU is based on AMD’s GCN architecture, but the use of “next-generation” is a little bit puzzling. Rather than featuring GCN 2.0, though, “next-generation” probably refers to the fact that the PS4′s Radeon GPU has been tweaked to “allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation.” All in all, the PS4′s GPU is more exciting than the CPU (which is par for the course with game consoles), but again — on paper at least — it isn’t spectacular.
Radeon 7850's are going for around $170. 7870's as low as $215.

And any Core i5 would absolutely blow either console's CPU out of the water.