Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #113
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I think you misunderstand my complaint. I'm not complaining about the amount of action in the film. Action sequences are often an important part of any drama. Its typically the tool used to achieve resolution in a conflict. But action was never the point, even in Wrath of Khan, which is arguably one of the more action packed of the first 10 movies. Wrath of Khan was all about facing your own mortality. Hell, it even gets pretty heavy handed with it (as I mentioned, the Treks weren't always deft with their themes) But it is pretty clearly a morality play in which Kirk finally learns that he can't cheat death.

You've mentioned it earlier in this very thread, J.J. Abrams is a great visual story-teller, but hasn't got the first clue how to construct a cohesive narrative that makes any sense. Every plot point in the film is a poorly conceived attempt to stage the next action sequence. I remember reading that when Naughty Dog was creating Uncharted 3, they created the big action set pieces first, and then tried to find a way to stitch them together into a single narrative. It really feels like that is Abrams approach to story-telling as well, and it just doesn't work for me.
I am totally convinced that's what he does. I think he can think visually and his approach to sequences is dynamic and innovative. But yes, as a story writer he isn't very good and you can see him frame things around these beautiful scenes he wants to show with often clumsy results.

That said, I like some of his movies. Probably because I think some things can get messed up if you try to bog them down with too much moral rhetoric or overly-clever plot points. I haven't seen Into Darkness, yet, and I may hate it, but one thing I've learned as a fan of the franchise since I was five is that Star Trek is it's best when it doesn't take itself too seriously. Abrahms breathed life into a dead franchise, and as imperfect as it has been (and sometimes outright ludicrous) he brought it back with, if arguably not more popularity, certainly more appeal than when it whithered on the vine. For that I will excuse some of these things if I get to enjoy new Star Trek movies again. For me, Star Trek is beloved, but it isn't sacrosanct.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote