View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #39
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
My main issue goes to immaturity. The day he ended up on the DL for slamming his bat into the ground and wound up with wood shards in his hand when the bat broke, I lost respect for him. I get it, be frustrated in that moment but don't take dumb risks that could hinder yourself. I know it's a fluke occurence what happened but it still also reeked of a kid having a tantrum. He is getting paid to be the face and leader of the franchise, yet I have never heard of him taking control of the clubhouse. I have heard the names, Helton, Giambi, Cuddyer as the leaders in recent years.

With the 3rd base theory I have, the Rockies have a few guys in the minors including Arenado who are seen as extremely high potential at shortstop. At 3rd he limits the amount of times he needs to contort and wrench his hips, legs, groin and back fielding and making the throw to first, which results in less time on the DL

I am hoping that as guys like Helton move on he matures and becomes a leader. I just think a guy with his contract and status as the face of the team, he needs to be more than a hitter and fielder.
Many players slam their bats into the ground. A learning lesson but not an immaturity issue.

When a small market team like the Rockies have a chance to tie a guy up that is one of the best at his position you do it and then just take chances on injuries.