View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #135
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That's a lazy argument. But also a predicatable one.

First, the Yankees payroll is overstated because they pay a Yankee/NYC "tax". In other words, they have to pay more because they're the New York Yankees.

Second, that number is skewed by contracts like that of Vernon Wells. It shows he's making $25 million but that number doesn't look right (see here http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-.../vernon-wells/ for example) and, to the extent it is correct, the Yankees are paying only a portion of that because the Angels are picking up a large portion of what he's owed. It also includes $10 million in dead money for A.J. Burnett and Rafael Soriano.

Third, a huge portion of their payroll hasn't played yet this year. From your link over $84 million (that's over 37%!) of their payroll is owed to players who haven't yet played. Add Kevin Youkilis, who is currently out, and you get over $96 million (over 42%!).

If you don't think what the Yankees have accomplished with the garbage lineup they put out there is notable then you clearly don't follow MLB very closely. They're missing 6 of their regulars from last season, and probably 4 of their 5 best players, and somehow have the 2nd best record in baseball.

But, haters gonna hate.
what Oakland did last year is more impressive than what NYY are doing right now. What Gardy and the Twins did through the early to mid-aughts was more impressive than what the NYY are doing now. Sorry, not all that impressed that the Yankees are currently sitting in 1st place on May 13 with the highest payroll in beisbol. I don't care if their roster is overpaid, injured and/or overaged. It's just not that impressive a feat to me. They are missing 6 of their regulars, but have the luxury of buying one of the deepest rosters in the majors. It's not like the Yanks are fielding a AAAA team even after the injuries. If that not impressing me means I'm not a baseball superfan, I am ok with that

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-13-2013 at 05:37 PM..