View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #1411
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
oh i agree. i always shake my head when people say Babcock is not a good coach.
i hate the wings like a fierce conservative hates a severely leftist liberal.
but they have a great team model and they find ways to win over and over. similar to the Steelers in football.
I think their team model broke down this year, a lot was riding on being able to sign Ryan Suter in the offseason and when he went to Minnesota the front office was really scrambling - the signing of Coliacovo was really just a panic reflex more than anything.

This coming offseason will be interesting, the only UFAs the Wings have to deal with are Damien Brunner and Val Filppula. I think Cleary will be allowed to test free agency, if he doesn't get signed elsewhere he may get a low end offer from Detroit, but I think his days are numbered.

Ian White will certainly be let walk. Kronwall, Ericson, Dekeyser, Smith, Kindl, Quincey and Coliacovo will be enough with Lashoff providing depth.

The Wings have 11 million and change to do with, they have to sign Smith, Kindl, Nyquist and Anderson to RFA deals and Filppula and Brunner to UFA deals - I would estimate that Anderson can be had for around 1 million per year for 2 years, Nyquist a bit more but not much, maybe 1.3 per year. Smith and Kindle will both be closer to 2 million per year - lets just say 4.5 per year for the 4 of them, that leaves 6.5 for Brunner, Filppula and a free agent forward - and that is before you start thinking about demoting Bertuzzi.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote