Thread: QB situation
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #79
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
I disagree about shipping off a found QB, at least until you have three good ones on the roster.

Kubiak sat behind Elway for , what, 10 years? And every time he had to play he did a great job, and won almost every time he played. You have to have a backup that is capable of winning on his own, because any QB could go down, and your season with it. There is just too much money at stake to trade away a potential starter, just because you have 2 on the roster.

In the NFL now, starting QBs get paid, and good backups also get theirs. But players want to play, which is the fly in the ointment. I agree you can get a bonanza in draft picks for a QB, but you have to have 2, not just one. A franchise level QB is someone you NEVER let go, unless you have 3.

If both Oz and Dysert are good we can let one go in a year or two, if Manning KEEPS playingfor 3-4 years, and we have another draft pick to replace him. Other than the cap cost the third emergency QB doesn't take a roster spot now, so you can carry three, and should.
a really highly thought of back up QB can net a 2nd or 3rd round pick. maybe a immediate need player or both(ala Kevin Kolb)

the value to ship them out is too high to just keep them around. especially when players get ridiculous contract offers to become a starter.
you can only sign a player to a 4 year deal after the first round.
cost control wise they will be most valuable to move in the 2nd or 3rd season because you can look at them while still on a rookie contract and then decide if you want to sign him to a new deal.

it's not feasible to hold onto a really highly valued back up unless they just love the team and will wait to start.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote