View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Bacchus

Here is a good Walt Weiss article. Is he a "natural" coach? Its always strange to me how players go straight from playing to being the coach. I guess Baseball is much simpler than football.

Set your lineup and let the do their job I guess is all you need to do.

KLEE: As Rockies manager, Weiss settling in just fine

Close

By Paul Klee Modified: April 6, 2013 at 12:00 am • Published: April 6, 2013 • Leave

DENVER — As a shortstop in purple and black, Walt Weiss learned quickly there is something different about playing baseball in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains.
“I had never really been to Colorado before '94," Weiss said Saturday from a dugout perch at Coors Field.

Back then, Weiss was in his first season with the club. And he was frozen. One frigid spring afternoon, Mile High Stadium had morphed into a winter wonderland.

"It was snowing sideways. ... I was praying the ball didn't come to me. There was no way I could have made a play."

As a shortstop in his first year with the Rockies, a line drive might have taken his glove off.

As the manager in his first year with the Rockies, his approach has been hands-off.
The Rockies won, again, 6-3, against the Padres, their fourth win in five games.
Why has the skipper been received so well inside the clubhouse?

Instead of imposing advice on a roster with fresh memories of a 98-loss season, Weiss simply slid into his new office without much notice.

Broken down into a simple formula, this is Weiss’ approach to managing his club:
Let the pros be pros. They reached this level for a reason.

“I think there’s a tendency in this game to get real mechanical, whether it’s your footwork defensively or your swing when you get in the box,” Weiss said. “There’s a tendency to do that. But in the end, you’ve got to go out there and be an athlete. These guys are great athletes.

“We don’t ever want to put handcuffs on these guys and hinder their athletic ability.”

Rest of article: http://gazette.com/klee-as-rockies-m...article/153191