View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #90
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

The US is already in Syria -- trying to bring down Assad. So is the UK.

Whatever happened to national sovereignty?
MHG

Leaked Memo Says US SOF in Syria
by Bryant Jordan

U.S. Special Operation Forces reportedly have been in Syria since December training groups to conduct guerrilla attacks and assassinations to bring down Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, according to a leaked Stratfor memo published by WikiLeaks.

But Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. James Gregory suggested the memo warranted being read skeptically.

“I would say that the [Stratfor] email — and I cannot comment on its authenticity due to the method in which [it was received] — seems to be pure conjecture,” Gregory said.

The claim of American Spec Ops Forces operating in Syria is made in an internal email dated Dec. 7, 2011, from an official at Stratfor, a Texas-based private intelligence-gathering company.

The writer — whose email reportedly belongs to the company’s director of analysis, Reva Bhalla — recounts a Pentagon meeting where officials “said without saying that SOF teams (presumably from US, UK, France, Jordan, Turkey) are already on the ground focused on recce [reconnaissance] missions and training opposition forces.”

An Air Force intelligence officer told him that there isn’t a viable “Free Syrian Army” to actually train right now, but that steps are being taken out of “prudence.”

“They have been told to prepare contingencies and be ready to act within 2-3 months, but they still stress that this is all being done as contingency planning, not as a move toward escalation,” the writer states. “I kept pressing on the question of what these SOF teams would be working toward, and whether this would lead to an eventual air camapign [sic] to give a Syrian rebel group cover. They pretty quickly distanced themselves from that idea, saying that the idea ‘hypothetically’ is to commit guerrilla attacks, assassination campaigns, try to break the back of the Alawite forces, elicit collapse from within. There wouldn’t be a need for air cover, and they wouldn’t expect these Syrian rebels to be marching in columns anyway.” (Alawite is a minority branch of Islam to which the Assad family belongs.)

This was originally posted at military.com
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote