View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
But most don't remain isolated. After a generation or two, immigrants tend to adopt the values and beliefs of mainstream culture, while holding onto the significant parts of others. The ones that refuse to do this are usually the first ones who come here. They are shocked by many things and holding on to what they know keeps them balanced.

I see it happening into my town right now with the Hmong and Karen refugee immigrants. The grandparents are very conservative -- hold onto their home beliefs. Very traditional. It is all they have ever known. Their kids, practice the traditional beliefs, but are slowly assimilating into our culture. They get involved in ESL programs and do their best to become citizens. The youngest ones, the kids growing up now and teenagers -- they are all about what America has to offer. They wear our clothes instead of common threads back home, have cell phones, gadgets, etc.

This is the norm for most immigrant populations. I can think of a few exceptions (and I may be wrong on that) -- in particular Somali's.
It's the norm in the US, but in Europe that hasn't happened. And the isolation streak that we are on, I am worried about still being an "open" culture.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote