Thread: GOP Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #81
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
No, you're absolutely right. The only way the Republican Party can remain legitimate long-term is to espouse some of the social ideas of the libertarians and oust the extremists from the platform. This will mean getting rid of the anti-gay, anti-abortion, and religiously radical views in their party.

You're already starting to see it with the comments made by guys like Jindal, Christie and even Priebus. But then you have guys like Ted Cruz who are nothing more than saber rattlers supported by the tea party radicals. The Republicans are at about the 1855 stage of their Civil War. Everyone knows its coming:; all it will take is the wrong person earning the nomination to set off the fireworks.
Finally somebody who sees the obviousness of the situation.... good post, IMHO. My frustration with the GOP is their accurate diagnosis of the issues that face the party, but they always prescribe the same old remedy- more of the same. I am often dumbfounded when I find fellow conservatives re-entreching and still work under the assumption that the message is fine they just have to do a better job of communicating it.. problem is, they are communicating to a changing audience.

***I don't think GOP need to abandon their abortion stance per se, I don't believe there is anything wrong with a respect for human life, at any stage of the process, in fact I support their position while at the same time respect the rights of protections under law... tradtionally the issue from most conservatives is the inability to face the outward reality that kids have sex no matter how much you tell them not to, and that teaching kids about safe sex and brith control mitigate that issue- preach abstinance, work in the reality of birth control.