View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I just have said i think religion in America is doing a lot of good things and gets a lot of negative press from the media and the left. I know a lot of religious people and they are among the best people I have a privledge of knowing. I believe in God I just make sure I don't break the big ones and pray on my own when i feel it. I don't feel the need to go to church. I admit though i have my doubts. I just think its pretty funny people can be convinced there is no god. Or convince themselves relgious people are a problem in the country. They are the least of out problems. Oh no the are against gay marraige, abortion, and want prayer in school. Those things will surely doom us all right?
I wouldn't say it is "funny" that people might think there is no god...it's a very personal belief, and there is no proof of its existence other than "where did we come from?" Personally, I don't know, nor do I really care. I live a secularly moral life, and I'm good with that.

I have no problem with religious people. I have a problem with religion, because it says "do this, or". I have a problem with religious people who push their views on others despite a separation of church and state. I have a problem with people like Rick Santorum who believe there should not be a separation of church and state.

And as far as religions not being dangerous...you're dead wrong there. Organized religion provides a cover for horrific abuses of children. Then they use the idea of sin, guilt and punishment in the afterlife to silence the victims. And it's not just the Catholic Church. It happens pretty evenly among all organized religions.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/hark/201...lic-clergy/39/

Quote:
“It would be incorrect to call it a Catholic problem,” said Church Mutual’s risk control manager, Rick Schaber. “We do not see one denomination above another. It’s equal. It’s also equal among large metropolitan churches and small rural churches.”

Iowa-based Guide One Center for Risk Management, which insures more than 40,000 congregations, also said Catholic churches are not considered a greater risk or charged higher premiums.

“Our claims experience shows this happens evenly across denominations,” said spokeswoman Melanie Stonewall.

You're big on anti-abortion. So where is your concern for children now? Or is this just another one of those situations like the gun control debate where you're willing to accept a certain amount of collateral sex abuse because hey, it's just the nature of the beast?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote