View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #156
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I have always found it too simplistic to simply say that because TD was a 6th round pick and umpteenth RB drafted that year and he was great, that means everybody who didn't predict his success is wrong and anything they say is BS. On the other hand it is also too easy to simply point to some mock drafts and say, this player was a 7th round pick so it was a reach.
Agreed, and a good example for "reaches" like Kayvon. Suppose we had the '95 draft all over again, knowing now what we didn't know then. Would you be willing to take TD in the top 10? Anywhere in the 1st? 2nd?, etc, etc. He would certainly would have been considered a huge reach, but his NFL production says high 1st round. Same with Tom Brady.

Quote:
I bet you that during the draft there were people who wanted to draft Duron Harmon or Kayvon Webster or some other guy who was perceived to be a huge reach, but they got beaten to the punch by a team that "reached" - of course that doesn't mean it happens with every guy who is a perceived reach, some of that is just due to bad drafting.
Absolutely true. The problem is we will never know because teams rarely, if ever, go public on who they wanted, but didn't get.

Quote:
I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now, firstly the team has been very successful the last 2 years and secondly there just aren't that many spots on the team that could be improved massively, so even the players they miss on probably won't be too big a deal right now.
Me too, particularly with defensive picks, because I trust Fox & JDR to know the type of players that fit thier scheme. Is it foolproof? Of course not, but all I know is that Fox inherited the worst D in the league, and in 2 years they are a top 5 defense(?).

Not to mention, Elway is a HOF player that took over a sorry 4-12 team that was the laughing stock of the league at the time, and in 2 years made them legitimate SB contenders.

He gets my benefit of the doubt too. I guess I just don't understand why they wouldn't get other fans benefit also. Oh well, so it is on the Mane.

Last edited by R8R H8R; 04-30-2013 at 11:12 PM..
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote