View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
It's always news when something happens for the first time. It would be nice if it isn't headline worthy in a decade or two, but for now it is a barrier nobody has crossed in the major 4 sports. You can't say "who cares" when there is obviously enough controversy and fear surrounding coming out as a pro athlete that we've never seen an active NBA player do so. It would be ridiculous not to cover it as a significant event.

Edit: And I would add that the fan reaction of "it doesn't personally matter to me who a player is attracted to so why is this a story?" missed the point entirely. You may have been a-ok with having a black player on your favorite team pre-integration, but when it is still a major taboo among much of the culture it is a big deal. And carries risk for that person crossing the barrier.

I'm not a big NBA fan, or someone who really knew Collins before today, but it's silly to filter the newsworthiness of an event through its personal impact on yourself.
It's only a barrier no one's crossed if he actually plays next season. Otherwise its not really any diff from John Amaechi's story. I really think it needs to be a young star.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote