View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default This should be fun to watch (Story of the 1983 Draft)!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...1_a2&eref=sihp
Just think if George Steinbrenner had his way, Denver.

ESPN has a terrific documentary Tuesday night about the 1983 draft, the one with six first-round quarterbacks, called Elway to Marino. It's still the most fascinating first round ever. Through the eyes of all involved who still are alive, the trade of first pick John Elway and the pick of Dan Marino last of the six quarterbacks is dissected. One of the key guys in the documentary, directed by Ken Rodgers of NFL Films, is agent Marvin Demoff (full-disclosure point: Demoff now represents me), who reps Elway and Marino. Demoff kept detailed diaries of the days leading up to the draft, and what happened to land Elway in Denver and Marino in Miami. My favorite story: Elway was a top Yankees outfield prospect, and at one point in April 1983 George Steinbrenner showed Demoff a projected 1985 starting lineup for New York -- with Elway in right field and prospect Don Mattingly at first base. And Steinbrenner offered Elway a rich contract. If Baltimore hadn't traded Elway to Denver, who knows whether Elway would have played baseball in New York rather than football for Colts taskmaster Frank Kush.

Other nuggets from the show:

Raider boss Al Davis asked Demoff a startling question about Elway during the process of discussing a deal for the top pick in the draft: "Can he throw deep?"

The Raiders, Bears and Colts discussed a three-way trade that would have sent Howie Long to Chicago, Elway to Oakland and draft picks to Baltimore.

During the draft, the Jets picked Ken O'Brien with the 24th pick of the draft. "Who is Ken O'Brien?'' Marino asked Demoff.

Elway found out he was being traded from Baltimore to Denver while watching All My Children.

It's a good living-history show. Highly recommended.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2RDJTgyiI
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links