View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #492
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Guess you haven't heard about abortion absolutism.

Women have no obligation to make a decision as soon as they possibly can. The only obligation women have is to take the time they need to make the decision that is right for them. Don't we believe that women are moral decision makers, and carefully consider their options when faced with an unwanted pregnancy? Don't we reject the anti-choice rhetoric that women make the decision to have an abortion callously? The pro-choice movement takes a step backward when we judge that a woman has taken too long to make what may be a life-changing decision. Shouldn't we want women to take the time they need to make the best decision, regardless of where they are in the pregnancy?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...y_butcher.html

I have a personal morality problem with abortion in general, but am not opposed to it in specific situations. I'm not even opposed to its legality in the non-viable first and early second trimester, but certainly think its disgusting that anyone would do this simply for "my body my choice" reasons. That said, Abortion absolutism is ****ing malicious and evil.
I put these people in the same category as I do those who want to outlaw all abortion in any instance, like Tombstone. They should be marginalized and repudiated by their own, because their causes prevent dialogue about the real issue at hand, which is that most women who have abortions do so because they are unable to take care of the child. We can argue all day long about whether their inability to take care of that child is perceived or not, but I'm going to guess that, out of the two of us, you're not the one that has any idea what it's like not to know where your next meal is coming from.

And there are some people in this very thread who claim that the answer to that is abstinence. Let me repeat that. The answer to wondering if you're going to be able to care for a child because of your current living situation is to stop having sex with the person you are legally married to.

Great logic. Poor handle on reality, though.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote