View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #457
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
As someone who is anti-abortion except in cases of rape, incest or health/life of the mother, a question occurs to me. I'm wondering if the conservatives here understand that, if you actually take a look at WHO is getting abortions, it is highly likely that the vast majority of those 50 million+ fetuses would end up in the public dole. I mean lets face it, rich white girls aren't the ones getting abortions in this country.

Does that mean we just just kill them? Hell no. Let me repeat: I am against abortion in all instances except those few and extremely rare exceptions. But I am not for outlawing abortion at his point, not just because it's not my body, because on its own that is a pretty weak argument.

All us liberals are saying is that when you look at the big picture, when you consider that people from different socioeconomic backgrounds do not yet have the same chance in this country, that certain proven methods of preventing teenage and unwanted pregnancy (I.e. NOT abstinence-only sex education) are not being taught effectively or not being taught at all, that not every person has access to childcare, healthcare, etc.

You want to govern by ideology, but you don't live in the real world. If you outlaw abortion outright, but don't address these issues, the number of abortions will not drop, whether the procedure is legal or not, will not drop. Even if you really, truly believe that the poor are the cause of all their own problems, you still have to address the issues that your economic and social policies cause. If you don't, it's just empty rhetoric. We offer solutions, you offer shame and punishment.
if your reasoning for legalizing abortions is that we don't want any more people on welfare and being losers or are drug addicts or criminals then let's make this stand on abortion retroactive and shoot everybody that's on ****ing welfare, that is a criminal, and that is a loser....... but if we did that, who would ever vote Democrat?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote