Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
The DHS hasn't been stockpiling. They've negotiated bulk pricing agreements for large amounts of ammo (~2bn over five years), but their actual purchases have not been anywhere near that much.

The 2bn number is the maximum number of units they can get at the bulk discounts they have -- a protection for the suppliers not the DHS.

Last time I checked, the hardest ammo to get a hold of, period, was .22LR. Also happens to be by far, the most popular ammo (9mm coming in second) because it's usually dirt cheap and has no recoil making it particularly fun to shoot (varmints, plinking, w/e) in large amounts.
But why hollow point ammo? Why is DHS buying hollow point ammo for target practice? Hollow point ammo is way more expensive. I'll give them a pass on buying .40S&W ammo because it is the most popular law enforcement ammo but that is usually with local law enforcment, like sherrif departments and city police. The feds is another question, I'm not so sure they don't go with the standard NATO 9mm round because that is what the US Military uses, so buying in bulk for the feds make sense, no?

Fact is, the current administration has people scared (or paranoid) and this is why everyone is buying up ammo. The .22 caliber is the most widely owned caliber in the USA and hence, everyone and their grandmother is buying the stuff up.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote