View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #74
R-Mac

Damontre Moore at 250 pounds had 19 bench press reps at his Pro Day. Robert Ayers had 18 reps and he is a 270-pound DE. I don't understand this infatuation with the bench press. Warren Sapp is a HoF DT and he did 17 reps. Where are those guys with 40, 45 reps? There are so many things involved in playing football... Leverage, angles, explosion, technique. I did not see Moore being pancaked like Margus Hunt, who is a workout freak but is still learning how to play football.

What Moore has is a slow 40-yard dash, and it's not an unacceptable time. A 250-pound guy with 4.8 speed sounds like many LBs in the league. His vertical jump was fine, his broad jump was fine, his 3-cone drill was excellent. If he has a poor work ethic, these numbers are not showing. I don't care if he is less of a weight room guy and more of an agility/quickness guy. If he works on his functional strength to play the position, he will be fine. Just because he did not impress at the bench press it does not mean he sits on the couch and watches TV all day. He can run cone drills, do some MMA training, he can do a lot of stuff. If he really is a mess off the field, it's not just because of the weight room.

Here's a raw Margus Hunt, track speed and 38 bench press reps, playing against Texas A&M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBBKibXTrs

Moore practiced against these guys quite often and had to face an SEC schedule. I don't see him being physically destroyed during games.