View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #148
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
MUG, I enjoy reading your thoughts on the DB situation, and I think that the talent that we have among our second tier CBs is an interesting conundrum when constructing the final roster.

However, IMO, your analysis overvalues Boldin. While Carter and Harris have already produced (and produced very well) for the Broncos on the field, Boldin really hasn't done much. He's been an ST player that occasionally gets reps on Defense, but by my estimation, hasn't done anything of note in either situation.

So if it came down to Boldin vs Carter, my own inclination would be to pick Carter over him. But of course there is the matter of a 4th round "investment" in Boldin, but to me, that draft status isn't high enough to preclude keeping the more proven player (in this case Carter) or drafting a blue-chip player in this year's draft. Of course, JFox and Co. don't make it easy to read the tea leaves since they are notorious about underplaying rookies and then unleashing them later on!

Very good points. If I was forced to cut a player at CB, it would be Boldin as well. But, in my mind, he's exactly what you want as a 5th CB. Someone that excels on special teams and can provide CB snaps in a pinch, while still having developmental value.

If we take a CB high, somebody has to not play. It's not just the idea of cutting Boldin alone. It's that now, someone is benched like Boldin was last season, and we have to fill that special teams role. I assume, Carter would now be riding the pine, but he doesn't help so much on special teams.

Everyone else may well be right, but I'm going to (foolishly) believe Fox and Elway when they hyped up Tony Carter and Omar Boldin as players they are extremely high on. I don't think they want to cut or bench them based on what they've said. That's really the backbone of my stance.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote