View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #107
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Rob Burnett was 290+ lbs. He might have been 270 when he first came into the league 10 years prior. When they let him go after 2000, they installed Marquise Douglas to play DE and two gap. He also was 290+ lbs.

It's the same scheme. They even lined McCrary out wide like we did with Dumervil.

They also moved Burnett inside, like we do with Wolfe, on passing downs. And they would move Boulware or Adailus Thomas to DE.

It's the same scheme. To the tee.

Woodyard is Jamie Sharper, but what we are missing is a 3 down MIKE. We tried to use Joe Mays as a 3 down MIKE to start the season but then we benched him and we couldn't use Brooking that many snaps. So, Trevathan sub'd in on passing downs. We want a 3 down MIKE for this scheme. Maybe Steven Johnson or Nate Irving can become that guy, I doubt it. There's not many in this draft, I'm not sure about Te'o and Minter. Arthur Brown and Jon Bostic are the two best options. Brown would require a 1st Rounder, Bostic a 2nd.

That's what we are missing. A starting 3 down MIKE LB. And some depth at RDE, SLB, and SS. We could draft Eric Martin in the 4th round and he'd provide depth behind Miller and give us another rushing threat. We can pick up a DE, SS, and MLB in the first three rounds. And we can draft some WR depth in the 5th and 7th.

1. RB Eddie Lacy
2. LB Jon Bostic
3. SS Shawn Williams
4. LB/DE Eric Martin
5. WR Josh Boyce
7. WR Conner Vernon

That's my offseason plan. Leave everything as is, draft those guys. The first two start. The middle two play a ton in subpackages. The last two play special teams and provide depth.
I appreciate what you're saying here but that would leave us in a position where Jeremy Beal or Malik Jackson would be one injury away from starting.

I would much rather have real depth along the DL from the draft this year rather than starting a rookie LB.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote