View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #67
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd bet that this is year marks the beginning of a transition to full time DT for Wolfe, with Malik Jackson taking over as the strongside DE.

Jackson impressed in pre-season action and before that through camp last season. The staff likely feels they've hit on something valuable there. At the same time whenever Del Rio talked about Wolfe as a DE the "for now" caveat was always attached, stating that he needed to add some size to be a full time DT.

I'd imagine that is the plan for this off-season. Get Wolfe to put on 10-15 pounds and over the course of the season prove he can maintain that weight while Jackson proves he's a legit starting LDE.

JDR rotates his DTs plenty to give Wolfe, Knighton, and Vick ample game time, plus Vickerson isn't exactly young. He's a one or two years top gap and his replacement needs to already be on the team (Unrein?).

Its a nice DL mix assuming that Ayers steps up in Doom's absence or the FO acquires a pass rusher to compliment him.

We are running the same scheme Del Rio ran in Baltimore when he had Peter Boulware as his Von Miller. It was essentially a 34, but designed the same way our is as a 43. The LDE two gaps and is really a DT. The two DTs in the middle two gap on base downs. The RDE rushes like a normal 43 DE.

I'm not sure what the "technical" name is for this scheme, but what we ran this previous season was by design. I do not expect Wolfe to move inside. He'd have to gain 50 lbs to fit what Del Rio used to have with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

This defense is massive fat asses inside that two gap. A two gapping 300 lb DT at LDE. a SAM LB that operates as a 34 OLB and rushes most of the time off the left side. A RDE that operates as a normal 43 end. Three down WILL and MIKE LBs are ideal. Woodyard fits perfectly. We need a MIKE that can cover. Being a big run plugger is not as important with three guys two gapping up front.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote