MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I don't really see it.

Dumervil was the prototype frontrunning DE. Most of his sacks came in the 4th Quarter and when the team was well ahead of the opposition.

I saw a player that worked hard as a three way DE but when teams ran right at him (which they did often and early) it tired him out in the back end of the season and took him out as a pass rusher.

It's probably why he was asked to play more of a wide 9 role this year because it makes it easier for him to avoid getting beaten up in the run game.

He did provide a vital role in our scheme though. And that was to close off the backside angle and prevent the QB from stepping away from Von to escape his pressure.

Ayers can pretty much fill that role, even though he may not match the production. It's more about who we draft this year as the backup that's more important.
I didn't like how his sacks always came late in the game, like his sack/safety on Schaub on the Texan's very first offensive play. Or how they all came after the game was decided, like his strip sack on Rivers which Carter returned for a TD. Of course, the way that he doesn't show up in the run game is frustrating, since he was second on the DL in stops, with 30 compared to Wolfe's 31.

Let me say this again, because I feel that people are intentionally ignoring it. Last season, Doom had more pressures than anyone on the following teams:

Arizona
Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Dallas
Detroit
Green Bay
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Kansas City
New England
New Orleans
New York Giants
New York Jets
Oakland
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Seattle

Also, it is not all about production. It's about how the QB's internal clock ticks a little faster when there's a premier pass rusher coming from his blind side. That doesn't happen with Ayers.

It's about how the RB will stay over to Doom's side to help block him, rather than spying Von. That doesn't happen with Ayers.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote