View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #1605
Drek
Ring of Famer

I have finished New Orleans' draft and have to say I'm pretty pleased with it despite the loss of a key 2nd rounder.

1-17 (17): New Orleans - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
3-13 (75): New Orleans - Sio Moore, OLB, UConn
4-12 (109): New Orleans - John Simon, OLB/DE, Ohio State University
5-11 (144): New Orleans - Lavar Edward, DE, LSU
6-15 (183): New Orleans - Hugh Thornton, OG/OT, Illinois
6-24 (192): New Orleans - Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon
6-29 (197): New Orleans - Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State

Overall feel like I hit good value and mostly petty good system fits. Lavar Edward might be a stretch into a 5-tech role but I think he's got the potential to gain the weight and fill that role. Simon is probably a better fit for someone willing to let him play full time 4-3 weakside end, but he'd still serve as a nice pass rusher. I think Sio Moore in the 3rd is real good value, like his overall game a lot. Trufant could wind up being a good value where I got him come the draft, or as a back of the first type depending on if he's the 3rd or 4th CB off the board, but I like his fit with the Saints regardless.

Where I really like what I got was in the sixth where I parlayed some earlier picks into a trio of selections to fill out the lack of depth in my draft pool. Feel like I got three guys who could all go a good bit earlier than this. Thornton and Boyd both seem like mid-rounders to me, not sixth round types, while Mellette is a safe bet for the sixth with a real chance to climb if teams buy into what they see in his workouts.

Of the guys I drafted I'd particularly like to see the Broncos land Simon and Boyd, I think both could find very productive roles in short order in Denver.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote