View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #257
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Vickerson was signed to be the starting UT in the base defense like he was last year. Knighton was signed to start at NT. He's replacing Bannan and is huge upgrade against the pass. Him and Vickerson also give the Broncos the best chance to collapse the pocket when teams throw the ball against the base D.
You have that backwards. Vickerson is the NT, and Knighton was signed to be the UT (because he theoretically has a little more ability to collapse the pocket). Whatever ability Knighton has, he's not a great 3-tech.

As I stated to start this conversation, Wolfe has MUCH better ability to collapse the pocket at UT then Knighton...and should be playing at there (at 3-tech (not 5-tech).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
This! Price doesn't know Knighton can push the pocket and Vickerson is a big athletic UT. Price doesn't comprehend our current scheme, hence his Knighton hate..
The Broncos run a 4-3 Under. One side is like a 3-4, and the other side is like a 4-3. That is something you don't understand. I don't hate Knighton, I just don't like him at 3-tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Ok, try to stay with me on this because I guess for you this is difficult to understand. The article clearly states that the reality of the Broncos defense is that it operates more like a 3-4 than a 4-3, regardless of if this is true or not, here's the deal with Knighten:

If Wolf lines up inside with Knighten, and Knighten gets double teamed, does this not leave Wolfe in a one-on-one situation? Wolfe, being the superior pass rusher, should be able to consistently beat whatever blocker is assigned to him, correct? Again, Knighten helps Wolfe by absorbing more attention from the opposing offensive line.

Your only valid argument about Knighten being a wasted FA pick up is IF opposing offensive lines double up Wolfe and leave Knighten in a one-on-one situation and Knighten can't take advantage of this. IF this is what you are saying, ok, but again, I like any of our defensive line guys, including Ayers, Jackson, Wolfe, Vickerson and yes Knighten in a one-on-one match up. Knighten is a huge DT/NT. He should be able to get inside pressure if he's blocked by one guy like a center or guard. Is he gonna do a swim move, or a quick spin move and simply get to the opposing QB with quickness, No. Is he gonna collapse the pocket and push the opposing offensive lineman back into the QB, yes. Regardless if Knighten gets a sack or not, his ability to create pressure by collapsing the pocket is what the Broncos are looking for, that is, if Knighten does not demand a double team.
The Broncos Defense is a hybrid of both 3-4 and 4-3 (a 4-3 Under). Neither Knighton, nor Vickerson 'require' a double-team. Wolfe sometimes does. If you don't have a true impact NT (a guy who requires a double-team), it would be much more preferable to me to have a guy who can beat one-on-one matchups consistently. Wolfe can. Vickerson can't. The jury is out on Pot Roast, but his career history gives no indication that he's an impact player. That's exactly why I would rather have kept Dumervil (instead of wasting money on non-impact players like Knighton), have Wolfe play at 3-tech almost all the time, Malik Jackson, Robert Ayers (or a draft pick) play 5-tech, and Vickerson play NT.

The Broncos only play an odd front 35% of the time...why waste nearly $5M on two guys (Vickerson/Knighton), who are basically the same player?...And release a perennial Pro Bowler? They could have, and should have done more to keep Dumervil, but their hands are tied because they have signed way to many marginal FA's to over-priced contracts, when there are already better players (like Wolfe and Dumervil) on the roster.

I would much prefer this base defense (which would collapse the pocket quickly):
Dumervil, Wolfe, Vickerson, Ayers, Miller

To the one we are now stuck with (almost no pass-rush ability outside of Miller):
Ayers, Knighton, Vickerson, Wolfe, Miller

Now the Broncos have to waste a 1st round draft pick on a RDE.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote