Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
My position on all marriage is that it is not for the states or the federal government to decide. If it were up to me, any two consenting adults should be able to apply for a civil union. Any and all "marriages" fall in the realm of religious rites and therefore should not be recognized.

Just as we had to get a marriage certificate from the state in addition to getting married in the Church, anyone wanting legal recognition would now just need to get a civil union certificate in addition to their marriage by their religion.

Now here is a question for you. If you leave it up for the states to decide what defines marriage, and they all come out with different definitions, how do you reconcile that with the full faith and credit clause?
The full faith and credit clause was never used to force a state to recognize a interracial marriage from a state where it was legal until the Supreme Court struck down the law banning interracial marriage in 1967.

I'm a firm believer in states rights but will go along with the decision of the Supreme Court if they strike down the law but it does open the door for all other types of marriages.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote