View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #71
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I thought our second year guarantee was also only for injury. I haven't seen the report that we offered an unconditional $10 guaranteed.
Klis was initially reporting that our guarantee was better, $10 million to $8.5 million ($7.5 million up front + $1 million base). Obviously, we probably aren't going to know our exact offer since it was never signed to make official, but I never heard anything about an injury guarantee on our end.

Quote:
Plus it's not like the actual contract numbers for year two are meaningless. If Doom (and his agent) are of the opinion that this was just a bad year for the FA market, they'd want to consider how much it will cost a team to keep him locked up in future years. You guys bank on him getting cut next year again, but if he's under contract for $6 million bucks or something similar, that's very unlikely.
Keep in mind that it's not just about the $3.5 million. I can't find his 2014 base salary, but let's go with your $6 million figure. If you pay the option bonus, you're basically committing to paying the base. So that's a total cash payout of $9.5 million. Now, if Doom goes out and has 12 sacks, I agree it's likely they will pick him up. But what if he has 8 or 9 (decent but not high level)? Do they want to pay $9.5 million dollars in 2014 for that level of production? I'd say the odds are decent that they will pick him up, but it's not a slam dunk.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote